Sunday, August 24, 2008

A B C


August 25 about a zillion teachers and students will begin their trek uphill (both ways) to school. Some excited, some filled with dread: teachers and students. So I want to pause and say HALLELUJAH for the hallowed halls of learning!
Teachers: you can do this. Yes, you can memorize all those names. You can present material in a thought-provoking manner. You can grade one more set of papers. You can perform duty, before and after school. You can hold a parent conference. You can attend yet another workshop. Why? Because you're called to teach.
Kids: You can finish that paper on time. You can put your phone away and not text for a few hours. You can eat cafeteria food. Why? Because this is your time to be a student. It's your job!
Each one who reads this post, say a prayer of gratitude because someone somewhere taught you that letters make words, words- sentences, sentences- paragraphs, paragraphs- books. It's all as easy as ABC.
Bless each of you as you begin the 2008-2009 school year!! You CAN do this!!
I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me.

4 comments:

Roxanne Sherwood said...

In today's society, teaching is often an unappreciated profession. Thanks for reminding us to pray for our teachers.

Maggie Carrillo said...

Eileen - thank you so much for this post! I've been freaking out all day and reading this helped me feel much calmer and resolute. I appreciate you!

Anonymous said...

Eileen,

I survived another first day of school - my 16th first day! I remember back to my very first teaching job where I shared a room with you and you were my mentor. You still continue to inspire me even though we no longer work together. I miss you!

Suzy

Rachel said...

Thank you
-from one teacher to another and from a daughter to a mother